Udemy and Skillfeed are two sites where you can create courses to sell. It doesn't cost you anything to list your course and there are people making a fair amount of money with these sites. Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. In my case I don't promote my courses (so any money made came from being found on the site). Here is how the money is broken down.
You keep 100% of the revenue (minus payment fees) when you bring new students to Udemy. For every student Udemy brings to your course through our marketing efforts, you keep 50% of the sale. Udemy handles all customer service, payment processing and hosting fees, and gives you access to the complete feature set of Udemy including the mobile version of your courses all for no additional cost. You can see more information on our revenue share here.
How should I price my course?
Some instructors use a metric of around $10 – $30 per hour of course content. Most courses on Udemy are priced between $29 – $99.
Each month, 30% of Skillfeed's revenue is allocated to instructor earnings. The remaining 70% is used to invest in Skillfeed's mission to help instructors reach the broadest possible audience, with the primary focus being on marketing instructors' courses and building and maintaining a platform that makes it easy to discover and enjoy helpful instructional videos
When I first launched my Planning Your Podcast Course I did some promotion at Udemy and made almost $80 (4 sales). That was a while ago. I make one or two sales a month ($5 – $15 take home). I've just started using Skillfeed and in the two months I've used it I've made around $35.
Udemy has a cool app for ipads and phones.
If you're not looking to get your teach on, there are TONS of courses on all sorts of topics.
Enjoy this episode?